When attorney and historian Clarence M. Burton donated his collection of historical papers to the Detroit Public Library in 1914, he triggered a chain of events that led to the creation of the Detroit Historical Museum. In December 1921, Burton brought together 19 prominent local historians to found the Detroit Historical Society, an organization dedicated to the preservation of the city’s history. In 1927, membership offices were leased and our treasurer J. Bell Moran was appointed to set up a museum. A new permanent exhibit opened in 1995 — The Motor City. This exhibit traces Detroit’s development into the Automobile Capital of the World and includes an operating assembly line with a two-story body drop from the General Motors Cadillac Division Clark Street Plant.